Monday, August 10, 2009

Mi Vida: Packing List

Here is a list of everything I can think of that I brought with me. (There are pictures of what it all looked like in a previous post). I was limited to; 2 checked bags under 50 lbs. each, my guitar, and a carry-on. This list seems like a lot to me right now, but when I was packing it felt like nothing (I was actually 15 lbs. under the max at check-in). I don’t wish that I had brought anything except for maybe more pictures of my family and the states to show my family here. Luckily it is 2009 and Al Gore happened to have invented the Internet, electricity, email, and the Facebook because I am able to get those pictures in about 2 minutes.

*NOTE TO FUTURE VOLUNTEERS: If you are packing for the Peace Corps right now, don’t stress out. You will make due with what you have, and can always buy stuff at the market or in the bigger cities. Just bring clothes you are comfortable wearing because you are the one who has to wear them for 2 years, so you might as well like them. You just might want to stay away from the 80’s Body Glove style neon colors and flashy stuff since you’re already a gringo among Peruvians and probably don’t want the extra attention.

  • Outdoor skills that Bear Grylls couldn't dream about faking on TV
  • 3 Button Downs- once wore my white one with dark down pants and a backpack and earned the nickname Mormon John around the training center…not cool.
  • 6ish T shirts (some cotton, some outdoor materials- doesn’t really make a difference, I still wear them all multiple days without washing them.)
  • 10 pair Underwear (Exofficio are the best, they never smell. I only change them out of self-consciousness, not because they smell. Plus, my body odor smells excellent anyways)
    • I’m in the market for some Alpaca fur boxers if anyone knows where they sell them. My site in Arequipa is going to be freezing at 11,200 ft. and I have to think about what is important...
  • 2 pair long underwear
  • Socks- Some white, some short, some wool, and some hiking
    • My icebreakers thin day socks are great and not too hot
    • Foot powder is a necessity since showering isn't.
  • Short socks are usually recommended for soccer, but if you have to play in long tube socks, it’s OK, Gringos already look goofy on the soccer field regardless...might as well just play along
  • 4 pair outdoor pants
  • 2 pair jeans – Rarely get washed
  • 2 pair outdoor shorts (Haven’t worn them- Peruvians only wear shorts for soccer)
  • 1 Bathing suit- Been surfing twice but always use an extremely used rental wetsuit – haven’t touched swim suit but could have crabs from the wetsuit...lets keep that between us
  • 2 pair dress pants- Good for meetings and teaching business classes. (Dark pants are way more common in Peru)
  • 1 Blazer
  • 1 Tie
  • 3 Collared polos
  • Danna Design Backpacking Backpack (Good call for easy traveling if you don't care about looking like 99% of travelers in the bus stations)
  • Mountainsmith Bugaboo Daypack
    • Ended up buying a smaller book bag for 16 soles (about $3) and it tore on week 1…what a surprise.
  • Light rain jacket
  • Rain Pants- with crucial full leg zipper to avoid getting muddy shoes all over the inside
  • Fleece jacket
  • Heavy ski jacket
  • Light jacket
  • 2 fleece pullovers
    • Going to need every warm layer I brought since it is going to be freezing in my site
  • Gray zip up hoody- Exact replica of Paulie Bleeker's in the movie Juno
    • I know you are worried Amy, but don't worry I haven't worn it yet. Once I do, I'll send lots of pictures because I know you hate it.
  • 1 Expedition weight long underwear top
  • Baseball cap
  • 1 pair of dress shoes- great with white socks for Michael Jackson impersonations (who this country literally worships).
  • 1 pair of Addidas sneakers (good for soccer but don't listen to their commercials...you are still going to suck at soccer)
  • 1 pair Zamberland Hiking boots
  • 1 pair hiking shoes
  • Chaco sandals
  • Sunglasses
  • Watch (Cheap looking- I’m already skinny and Gringo, the last thing I need is a flashy watch attracting the 12 year old thieves of Lima)
  • 1 Towel and 1 washcloth
  • 1 Leatherman Wave
  • 1 pair of workgloves
  • 1 Gerber Flashlight
  • 1 Headlamp- I have electricity so these are untouched as of today…knock on wood
  • 1 Basic flashlight
  • Compact umbrella
  • ENO Hammock
  • Fly Rod, reel and fly’s (might end up just decorating my wall, but you never know)
  • Digital camera (extra battery)
  • Flip Video (Thank You Balcom Agency- Maybe we’ll see a rebirth of our favorite weatherman reporting from Peru)
  • External Hard drive- crucial for storing movies that might get me through the lonely times at sight
  • Nalgene (Duct Tape around it of course- Greg)
  • Travel Speaker
  • Sleeping bag
  • First Aid Kit- Peace Corps provides one with tons of stuff
    • Anti diarreah meds and Pepto chewables are like gold around here
    • Tylenol PM should come in all First Aid kits- 16 hour overnight bus rides are pretty rough when a poorly dubbed off color movie in Spanish is playing on the TV and you have an upset stomach
  • 1 Jar of Peanut Butter- it was on my Peace Corps packing list so I brought it incase I’m ever starving… highly doubtful since I get fed like I’m a Sumo Wrestler
  • Thermarest
  • iPod 8 Gigabyte Nano
  • Classical Guitar- and the ability to play tons of intros to songs without ever finishing one.
    • Two years in a gorgeous setting where know one knows me sounds like the perfect place to finally find time to practice
  • Laptop
  • Power Converter
  • USB (w/virus’ complements of every computer in my neighborhoods internet cafĂ©. Ask Franny, I already gave her a computer STD)
  • 1 Journal
  • Books (The Road, A Confederacy of Dunces, Diarios de Motocicleta, All the Pretty Horses, the Catcher in the Rye, Bible, Guitar Guide, Peace Corps recommended Reading, and some others)
    • By the way, I'm finishing City of Thieves right now and it is pretty awesome.
  • Toiletries (Travel size everything-it all can be bought in Peru)
  • My spanish accent that literally melts Peruvian women's hearts, stunning gringo looks that can pretty much get me into any door in this continent, and business knowledge that could possibly spare Peru of all of its poverty.
    • BROMA (JOKE)...hey a guy can dream right!

No comments:

Post a Comment