Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mi Vida: Huascata




Here is a shot of my Peruvian family (who are awesome), my house, and my hood (Huascata). The younger guy on the left is my house brother, Manuel, my dad Virginio is next to him, my mom, Celia is next to him holding my niece, Ariana, who is 20 months old. This is only part of the family. We also have three other brothers and one brother's wife. I don't know who the lady on the right is, but she works at the Monastery with my house parents. When I say that they work at the monastery, don't automatically assume I am doing mission work in Peru. I have already been dubbed the name Mormon John and am routinely confused with evangelical groups. So please, don't join that band wagon. My house dad works the fields (chacra) at this Benedictine Monastery below. This is awesome, because that means we get fresh herbs, veggies, and fruits right from the field sometimes.

My road is dirt right now, but should be paved by the end of the month if all goes to plan. My house is on the left where that lady is sticking her head out. Everyone made my community out to be pretty dangerous, but I never really feel like I'm in danger- Probably because I am so intimidating with my backpack and lunch pale I'm usually carrying. Apparently Huascata used to be like the wild west, with a lot of neighborhood justice that went on, so I think it still holds a pretty mean reputation...I always just say I'm here to clean up Gotham.









This is my house dad at the office. He could probably take on at least 10 of me in a fight and still have energy to work the chacra all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment